Review your photos as you take them.
Look at your image on the back of your camera and zoom in at 100%. move the cursor around the screen and look for the focal point that it is clear and sharp.
If you are doing a full tree shot;
- Check that you have fit everything into the shot, that there are no branches slightly off screen on the sides, top or bottom.
- Check that you have the stand in the image if you require it.
- Check that you have at least a little space around the whole tree so that you have a little flexibility in post production
- Have you done a landscape (horizontal) shot, do you need a portrait (vertical) image as well
- How does the lighting look?
- Is the image in focus at 100%
- Can you see all details that you want to see
- Are there any patches in the photo that are really dark and you see no detail at all?
- Are there any patches in the photo that are really white/bright and you see no detail at all? These could be "blown out"
- Take a photo with the aperture + 1 and - 1 and see what the image looks like.
Review your photos on the largest screen possible as a second step if you are not connected directly(tethered) to a PC while you are taking the photos.
Check the histogram through the back of your camera if you can do that on your model.